Wednesday, May 02, 2007

'MAD!' & A Tale Of Two Fingers...

So I'm in the kitchen cleaning up from breakfast & Ruby is in her room playing with her toys.
Pretty normal morning... until:

*crying* 'Momma Help Please!'
I run in to find her little hand wedged into a 'shape sorter' that she adores & KNOWS how to use, but apparently this time had forgotten which end was 'up' so to speak.

"Awww baby, c'mere, give Momma a hug... you're all right my love."
"I sad Momma, I so sad..."
"I know baby luv, you'll be ok, your fingers are ok... Momma helped you, see?"
*looking down at fingers in question*
"I MAD Momma!"

Slightly stunned, I take a minute to digest what my child has just told me.
See, Ruby's always been able to use adjectives to describe her feelings to me. Always.
Things like 'happy' or 'tired' or 'sad' or 'hungry' or 'cold' or 'hot' etc...
But MAD?

That shit's new...
that came from way out in left field,
hitting this Momma square in the face!

"Baby, do you mean you're sad? It made you sad to get your fingers stuck?"

*looking up at me as if I've clearly lost the ability to understand her words*
"No Momma,Ruby MAD not sad!"
*throwing evil shape sorter across the room*

"Baby, that's not very nice...
I'm sorry that you're upset but we don't throw our toys, ok?"
"Momma, I not ok! No more toy! Ruby put away..."
*grabbing bear for a nose to nose makeout session, she walks out of the bedroom leaving me to sort through the chaos that was the evil finger eating shape sorter*

Man, I didn't expect to hear that word out of her mouth... not that it's a bad word or anything but I typically don't use 'mad' when speaking, even when I'm angry. I say Momma's upset or Momma's sad or even Momma's angry... but mad?

So as if that wasn't enough to have to process before even finishing my first cup of tea,
she re enters the room with this beautiful nugget of info:

*holding up the 'closet door incident' fingers from last week*
"Momma?"
"Yes Ruby..."
"My fingers?"

*sadly like clockwork I fall into step with my role
in her play lovingly coined around this house as: A Tale of Two Fingers*

"Awww sweetie, what happened to your fingers?"
"Fingers shut it in a door."
"Awwww baby, and whose fault was that?"
"Momma's fault."
*smile on her face*
"Oh my sweet, and what did Momma say when that happened?"
"I SO sorry, soooooo soooooooo sorry, Momma"
"Yes baby, Momma was so so sorry. And then what did Momma say?"
"Not do again."
"That's right luvie, I'll never do it again, because I love you."
"WuVoo Momma!"
*hugs & kisses*


And then,
as if satisfied with her role in pointing out the error of my ways,
she turns & leaves.

No lie, my kid has told that 'fingers in a door' story to ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN!

Neighbors we know.
Neighbors we don't know.
Strangers at Target.
Strangers at the grocery store.
Each & every one of her stuffed animals is privy to an individual tale
of the dangers of Momma's & closet doors... etc.

You get the idea.

And the worst of it is,
it's with a gleam in her eye that she points out who's at fault. LOL

That's my girl.

*smiling*
(I'm so in trouble when she's a teenager... I feel the grey hairs starting already!)


1 comment:

Lisa said...

HA HA HA!! You'll come to learn that those are the stories that they always remember!!