Tuesday, November 27, 2007

3rd Time...

...IS NOT The Charm!

Allow me to set the scene:

Ruby joins 'Teeny Tiny Tumblers' at the gym.
Class #1: loved it
Class #2: loved it
Class #3: Screamed like a banchie until I removed her bodily from said gym.

Ruby shows an interest in & joins Ballet:

Class #1: loved it
Class #2: loved it
Class #3: Screamed so much & so loud she gave herself HIVES THE SIZE OF CHINA to the point where again, I had to remove her bodily and then immediately after leaving work,
we drove straight to the doctors & didn't/wouldn't leave until I had a prescription in hand to tackle those welts all over her body.

Ruby described them to me as "Fire on my arm momma, you itchy!"
( she still hasn't learned how to say "I'm" yet,
and says "you hungry, you tired, you itchy' for everything. LOL)

So, after nearly two hours at the doctors we finally left with a script for Loratadine (aka: Claritin) to be given 1 tsp daily until informed otherwise.

Today is day 2 of taking the syrup & so far, so good. No welts to speak of but who knows.
What I'd prefer to do is to find out WHAT is giving them to her.
Clearly they are stress related in some instances but there have been times she develops them & she's not in the least bit upset about a thing. Playing happily & then there she is, by my side saying: "Momma, you itchy, your arm/let/tummy/back/foot (insert body party here) itchy..."
My doctor says it takes FOREVER to find out what is giving some kids hives.
It's process of elimination in EVERYTHING they eat, drink, come into contact with, etc...

I know it's not the clothing stuff I use, All Free & Clear since day one & NO dryer sheets for her, and the ones I use for me are free of all dyes and perfumes.
We eat everything from scratch, all organic, no processed anything.
I'm starting to think that maybe it's the milk? Alot of kids are lactose intolerant and who knows, maybe Ruby is too? But I'll be so bummed cuz she LOVES MILK!
I suppose it wouldn't hurt me to just buy soy milk but UGH excuse me as I gag at the thought.
*bleck*

I dunno, regardless of what it is, I can't even start to rule things out one by one because she wants her on this med until it runs out. (approx a months worth)
I digress...

So,
on top of her NOT following through thus far with anything she's started with enthusiasm,
I now have this 'hive' thing to deal with and let me tell you,
if you've never seen a hive on a kid HOLY SHIT,
they are HUGE,
AND HOT TO THE TOUCH,
AND INTIMIDATING IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL IT IS,
OR HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!

I was slightly horrified at first but whatever,
it's life.
We'll deal with it & get through it as we do everything else.
One day at a time.


3 comments:

Mommy & Daddy said...

Awww...I'm sorry about poor Rubs' hives!! If it is in fact lactose, they have Lactaide milk and ice cream which isn't too bad(speaking from experience). I would see if they'll do an allergy test, it's simple and will rule out lots of stuff all at once.

RamblingMother said...

Usually the lactose intolerance is a gastro thing right? Maybe allergic to milk in general. Could have developed it but I am like you on the soy milk, bleck. Hope you find the cause. Benadryl cream might also work to help lessen them too. Poor little Ruby and her hives.

Beverly

Calico Sky said...

Poor Ruby, usually lactose issues cause stomach upset, maybe allergy? My friend's daughter gets them and she is allergic to dairy. My other friend's daughter gets them when stressed and only when stressed.

Poor Ruby! Hope ballet and gym work ou next week for her!