Saturday, February 09, 2008

I KNOW They Mean Well...

...but I may need to see my PCP about scoring some prescription type drugs
to help get me through the 'grandparent' years!
OY VEY!

Cute pics, right?
*sigh*
On the surface, yes...

...but if you remember I just blogged about my dear girl being sick with a low grade fever
&
probably the worst cold ever, right?
Look closely at the photos,
do any of you see an actual COAT or HAT on my girl?

No really, look closer... anything? anything? COAT?
Not so much!

You know,
I know being able to leave her home with my parents is a blessing,
HOWEVER,
one assumes (and by 'one' I mean ME)
that they'll know enough to at least DRESS HER ACCORDINGLY
when it's freakin' WINTER OUT and the girl is SICK!

Seriously, just typing this I need something for my head...

(her outfit: just a sweatsuit with a onesie underneath, THAT'S IT!
Add to that a silly VEST,
um HELLO who the HELL thinks,
"ok, it's very cold out & there's snow,
the hell with my down jacket,
I'm gonna go with the VEST!"
and then just a pair of mittens & snow boots.
No wonder my girl isn't getting any better.
Free babysitting: you get what you pay for.
*sigh*)

And to all of you who don't have the luxury of having grandparents at your disposal for helping out here & there, my sympathies, and no I'm not always bitching, I love my parents very much HOWEVER (again with that however...) they just need to respect the "I'm the parent" part of this scenario, which 9 times out of 10, they don't.
I tell them to dress her warmly if they go out, they say yes, & then I get pictures back like these.
They have no boundaries with Ruby, let her do what she wants, when she wants & then question me as to why Ruby is so 'fresh' when she's with them.
I politely tell them it's because they have zero boundaries & little or no discipline when it comes to her. Children NEED rules...
and to that my father replies, quite loudly I might add:
"Amyla, she's only 3! SHE'S JUST A BABY SHE DOESN'T NEED RULES!"
See what I'm dealing with?
I again explain that if they don't establish some ground rules with Ruby, then all they've done is TEACH her that, with them, THERE ARE NONE, and therefore she'll CONTINUE to be disobedient when in their company.
They don't believe it & just think that I'm raising a 'fresh kid'...
Even after I've told them that "Mom, Dad, she doesn't do those things with me because she KNOWS she'll never get away with it. She KNOWS that Momma has rules & she knows them & abides by them or else suffer the consequences."
Again, Joe pipes in: "Oh so she's just AFRAID OF YOU, IS THAT HOW YOU PARENT? WITH FEAR!"

I don't know if it's just different generations or what, but the bottom line is, if you chose to care for her without rules, then YOU, as GRANDPARENTS will then suffer your own consequences, and if those happen to be a kid who is fresh beyond fresh with you, so be it.
Every second, of every minute of every day that Ruby is in our lives, we've been 'teaching' her through our actions. Teach her rules & right & wrong, & she'll learn that.
Teach her that she's the boss & can do no wrong in your eyes,
then trust me, she'll learn that too.
And sadly, sometimes wrong can be REALLY WRONG.


Any ass vice?
Anyone?
And while we're at it, if someones got a nice toasty winter coat lying around,
can my girl maybe borrow it till spring?
LOL
UGH~!

5 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

I can see how it would be annoying, but...awwww, isn't it nice that they dote on her! She is a lucky girl to have so many people that think she is the greatest thing in the whole world!

Tiffany

Pug Mama said...

you are so right. 100% right.
No. I have no ass vice for you, 'cause I parent EXACTLY as my mother parented me - and she is the same with her Grandkids.
and so sorry - but I did the BIG belly laugh at this:
"ok, it's very cold out & there's snow,
the hell with my down jacket,
I'm gonna go with the VEST!"

RamblingMother said...

I totally understand!!

Beverly

Cindy and Co. said...

Amen! Literally just had the exact same conversation with Mom. Not 20 minutes ago....Scooter can do no wrong...I realize they don't see her often as we live in different states, and I am well aware that she is 2.5, but my rules are my rules. Either abide by them or be supervised by me. Period. God help you dealing with it everyday.

Cindy and Co. said...

PS Eliza2006: Doting is one thing....no coat on a sick child in the snow...not so much of a good idea.