Friday, April 18, 2008

Strangers Say The Darndest Things...

...things like, "I have one of those at home too!" (as I'm walking past a couple on a park bench, hand in hand with Ruby, diaper bag slung over my shoulder...)
OK, I'm game, I'll play along.
"Oh, is that so?" (thinking maybe he means one of those DIAPER bags, right?)

"Yep," he says. "Sept mine's all grown up now. Got one's 21 and the other's 19."

Realizing that he's CLEARLY referring to MY CHILD, I'm furious but remain kewl cuz otherwise I'd have clocked him in his big fat STUPID head! (and violence isn't top of my list of things to teach Ruby...)

"Oh." I say. "Were your children born in China as well?" (holding back this incessant urge to PUNCH the guy!)

"Nope, both from Korea. Good ones though..."

ONES? LIKE WE'RE TALKING APPLIANCES OR FURNITURE OR SHOES? GOOD LORD, AND I THOUGHT I HAD NO TACT!

I smiled politely & wished him & his wife/friend, whatever she was, a good day & we walked on. I was SO annoyed inside that I think I was even holding Ruby's hand a little too tightly. (sorry baby!)

You know, I've heard some lame ass STRANGER comments before, but that one, at this stage in the game, just THREW ME FOR A LOOP!

Who the hell did he think he was?

I'm all for adoptive families bonding over the gifts we have in our children, but WHEN IT'S DONE WITH TACT & RESPECT.

That guy?

I could have done without.

3 comments:

RamblingMother said...

That happened to us at the zoo on Good Friday. The man, who said it, was there with his wife and two daughter, of whom he was referring?!?! They smiled and waved. I guess they have gotten quite used to their very strange dad, I however was mortified!!

Cindy and Co. said...

I have a friend like that...refers to his kids as deduction one and deduction two. He means nothing by it, and worships his kids so I overlook it. But I could see from an "I don't know you" point of view it could seem kinda odd.

kitchu said...

whatev... who has the time of day for this kind of ignrance? Did ya see my post before last? My friend got the single worse comment evah!