Friday, July 28, 2006

Can YOU...

...guess WHO?



This beautiful scarf is going to be a gift for a fellow blogger.
Any guesses who it might be?
*grin*

C'mon, go ahead, I know you wanna guess...
Plus, I'll be curious to see who you all think it is.

hee hee

I won't say who, but I will tell you that it's not my buddy Karen, because her scarf
is going to be this delicious RASPBERRY color that I have yet to start.
(but no worries Karen, it'll be ready in time for your winter.)

Nope, this one is a surprise for someone who is also pretty good at surprises herself.
Now I don't know if these colors are her favorite, but I just fell in love with the two together.
Actually the red is called 'Candy Apple Red' and I bought a ton of it to make a blanket for miss Ruby, but had some leftover and thought it would go beautifully with the 'Golden' color.
Thus, a scarf is born...


(PS: for all you fellow knitters, here's the 411 on my scarves:
I use Takumi bamboo size 11 needles
and I always use Lion Brand Homespun yarn and cast on 18 stitches & knit until the entire skein of yarn is gone. Nothing fancy either, just good ole' knit stitch for this Momma.

It makes for a long, toasty, soft scarf that's fabulous during those cold winters we get here in new england! Don't get me wrong, hot cocoa works too
but a hand made scarf is a 'MUST HAVE' !)

2 comments:

Sarah's proud Mama said...

Amy, I'm a new knitter (just learned in Feb.)...how do you make the little opposing colored stripe at the edge of the wide stripe on the scarf?? I'll have to try using that yarn, I've not tried that one yet! I need more projects!
Robin

Amy said...

Robin, that's a great question as I just recently learned how to do that myself, isn't it neat!
What you want to do is at the end of a row & just when you're starting the next row, rather than continue with the color you've been using, make a loose loop (no slip knot) and use that to start the first stitch of the next row. In other words, once you put the needle through as if to knit that first stitch, you'll leave your existing color alone & incorporate the new color in leaving a little 'tail' hanging. Continue knitting with that new color as long as you like, and when it's time to start the previous color, again, same thing, ignore the one you were just using, make a loose loop & use that as your first stitch for the next row... cutting little tails always on the same side of the scarf or project. You will want to tie those two loose ends together tightly & when the project is completely finished, you'll go back in with a yarn needle & weave the loose ends into the scarf so that they are not noticable. =)
GOOD LUCK!