Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ching Ming Festival... April 5th.

Today is the Ching Ming Festival in China.
Ching means 'clear' and Ming means 'bright'... it is a day that the Chinese people honor their ancestors by visiting their graves to clear away weeds, touch up the gravestone inscriptions and make offerings of wine & fruit. It sounds like a lovely tradition and makes me think fondly of my relatives who have passed... although, for me, I don't have to visit a gravesite... my Nonna (father's mother) is still in this apartment every day. Yes, she's truly here & No, I'm not kidding, nor am I crazy. I love her to pieces & LOVE knowing that she's here looking over Ruby and Me... it makes me feel safe.
So, to all of you who have lost a loved one, be they human or animal, today Ruby & I will celebrate Ching Ming in honor of everyone you've ever loved who has gone to the other side... may they truly rest in peace.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Isn't that beautiful? I wish I could take credit for that, but unfortunately I can't... just did a 'google images search' for Ching Ming festival & that was one of the pics that came up... I fell in love with it & had to use it.
Plus, with a toddler running around, you think I'm gonna have that many teenie, tiny stones just lying around? LOL Not so much luv, talk about a disaster waiting to happen. LOL