Wednesday, May 03, 2006

All Dogs Go To Heaven...

Today I had to say goodbye to my best friend of ten & a half years...
My Dear Sweet Loving & Loyal Pal, Ebenezer.
(his full name, strictly for paperwork purposes since he was AKC certified) was:
Lord Ebenezer Sharp... but to me, he was Ebenezer... Ebby... Eben... Neezer... "Buddy" to my brother... but regardless what we called him, he knew he was loved by us all.

He was & will always remain THE BEST DOG IN THE WHOLE WORLD in my heart & soul.
He was my friend, my 'fuzzy son', my 4 legged soul mate.

Things Ebby loved: Snow, Snow and MORE SNOW! He loved the cold weather & hated the heat. (My Boy) His FAVORITE SEASON was WINTER hands down! When the first snow came he'd RUN HEAD FIRST into it and consume it with a fierceness because not only was it fun to play in, but apparently it was DELICIOUS as well!


He LOVED to chase kitties via running from window to window to catch a glimpse of them outside & warn them of the iminent danger if they got TOO CLOSE to his turf!
He would do the same if Dog's walked past the house too... he was my handsome four legged bodyguard.

He loved to go for walks down to the common & back. He'd stop every TWO FEET to pee & mark his territory, just in case any other dogs were wondering just exactly who was 'boss'...

He LOVED to howl... you just had to 'say' the word 'MEOW' and BOOM... HOWL TIME BABY!
(Ruby always got a kick out of that...)

He loved to chase the 'BUG' (a red laser light pen) that we'd aim at the floor/wall/carpet & he'd CHASE THAT THING LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS! He was DETERMINED to 'KILL THE BUG' and it was hysterical watching him SO determined to get this funny little red dot... apparently the doT was evil & we just didn't know it. LOL When he was a little puppy, he'd want that 'BUG' SO MUCH that he'd back up & back up & back up & then all of a sudden POUNCE on it like a CAT POUNCES ON A STRING! HYSTERICAL! Some of the best memories ever.

He slept with me in my bed at night... next to my head & almost on my shoulder, every night, since day one, and we ALWAYS had to have a COLD room, whether by AC in the summer or literally OPEN WINDOWS in the dead of WINTER... it HAD to be chilly. It was the only way we were both comfortable... & we were inseperable.

He knew a few really good tricks: he could sit & stay while I tossed a cookie across the room & he wouldn't even budge until I released him & said "allright"... then & only then was it 'cookie time'. He was a GOOD BOY!

He could give paw & five. He could speak, although it was more of his trademark howl...
But I think his best trick was to be able to balance a cookie on his nose & then flip it into the air only to ultimately catch it in his mouth. I LOVED THAT ONE! =)

He loved to eat, lots of things like apples, cantelope, corn FROM OFF the COB but his favorite obviously was- meat! Beef or chicken of any kind & from the very first day I adopted him, I'd ALWAYS give him the 'last bite' of whatever it is I was having.
(only exception to that was chocolate, for obvious reasons...)

My Mother, his Nanna... ALWAYS gave him the last little bit of her milk from her cereal.
This became a ritual & he knew to wait for it because it would ALWAYS come & he knew how much he was loved & how special he was to this whole family.

His bottom lip was half black & half pink, I ALWAYS loved that about him, because it not only unique, but it made him look like he was always sticking out his bottom lip in just the sweetest expression. Just adorable...

Nov 16th - the 30th, I missed him like you'd miss an arm or a leg those two weeks while in China and am just so blessed that Ruby did get some time to get to know him prior to having to say goodbye.
I don't know how much of him she'll remember as she gets older, but I have some fantastic video of the two of them playing & having fun.
Memories I'll cherrish forever.



So, when diabetes came suddenly several months ago & swept fast through his little body, obviously I was devastated & heartbroken.

First it stole his eyesight but thankfully he knew this house like the back of his paw, so he was fine... just needed a little assistance with the stairs but other than that, his nose worked like a CHARM, so he was NEVER late for DINNER! *smile* hehehe

Lately, however... I've noticed a downward spiral in his daily activity & I knew that I'd know in my heart when it was time to give my last gift to my friend... the gift of eternal rest.
When I started having to carry him up & down the stairs to go outside, I knew that it was only matter of time.
I watched first hand how this once vibrant, fiesty & lovable dog became this sad, quiet, sleepy, dog who lost the will to live & seemed to just be 'waiting to die'.

Truly, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, not because I don't think what I'm doing is right, but because a part of my heart & soul died with him & it's a void that hurts like I have no words to even describe to you.

Last night I was curled up with him & told him that I didn't want to let him go but that I loved him too much to make him stay in a body that was betraying him the most basic of daily functions.

I told him that in Heaven, all dogs can see, and all dogs get at least THREE KITTIES to chase whenever they want & that God makes sure that there's a HUGE BEEF BUFFET that's open 24/7... I told him that his last moments wouldn't have to be spent in that stark cold hospital, but here, in the comfort of his own home, in his own bed, with me curled up around him.
That the doctor would come here & as I held him close & told him over and over how much I loved him and how blessed I was to have been allowed to share in such an unconditional love that only a dog & his owner share...
that he'd just slowly drift off to sleep & never have to be in pain again.
I said " Ebby, it will be as quick as 1, 2, 3..."
and with that, my daughter piped in with "GO!"
(it's an automatic... we count 1, 2, 3... and she follows EVERY TIME with "GO!")
So, even amidst the tears, I couldn't help but smile & chuckle at the brilliance of my daughter to make me laugh through my grief at having to say goodbye to my oldest & dearest friend.


So, Ebenezer... I know you'll be happier where you've gone, but- Ruby & I will never ever forget you & everytime a doggie walks past the house & we catch a glimpse of him outside the window, we'll both 'howl' in your honor.


(& I promise to really throw our heads into it & make you proud...)

Sleep in peace old friend, you will always be the fuzzy love of my life & Ruby and I both will miss you every day for the rest of forever.
Goodnight Pal, Rest in peace.
Momma loves you soooooooo much!!!

Ebenezer
(aka: Ebby and/or Eben)
Nov 4th, 1995 - May 3rd, 2006
Until we meet again old friend...
<3

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amy. I'm just so sorry for your loss. I wish there was something I could do to make it better. You'll be in my prayers.

ANASTASIA said...

RUBY, MY HEART AND SOUDL GO OUT TO YOU AS I KNOW HOW YOU ARE FEELING RIGHT NOW. Remember all the good times and light a candle every year like we do. God bless you and here is a site. check it out.
http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Also, my own story. LINK.
http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/angel.htm

and a poeem for you..

More Memorials...

I STOOD BY YOUR BED LAST NIGHT

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep. I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear, "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea, You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew, in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

ANASTASIA said...

The link did not post correctly. here it is again.
sorry
http://rainbowsbridge.com/
Poem.htm

and here is the other link with our story.
http://www.handicappedpets.com
/Articles/angel.htm

PS..i am also sorry for the mispellings i made in my post.

Johnny said...

I'm so, so sorry for you and Ruby. But, a mother's love knows when it's time.

MB said...

Oh wow Amy, your posts brought a flood of tears to my eyes. I lost both our dear labs almost 6 years ago about 3 months a part from each other. Both labs were 12 years old.

I know the pain that you are going thru. If I was there I would give you a great big hug. Our dogs were like our babies because we didn't have any children at the time. Both dogs died suddenly, I beleive though that the second died of a broken heart from her companions death.

My Baby Ain't White said...

Wishing you the comfort and peace that your Ebenezer knows now -like Johnny said, a mother knows the right time.

I am so very sorry. To lose a pet is to lose a member of your family. I'm just so thankful your Ruby and your Ebenezer had the wonderful opportunity to meet and share their mother's love.

Memories (and photographs) I know you'll treasure for a long, long time.

~Karen

milieu said...

Amy, you gave Ebby a good life and he will be now at peace with himself.
Wishing you all the best to get over this period and to remember him with happiness always.

Anne said...

Amy and Ruby,
I'm sorry for your loss! It is hard to say goodbye to a much loved friend and family member... and I know you both will miss him! Thinking of you...
Anne

Unknown said...

That's twice in the last week I've sat crying reading your site.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Ebenezer and the pain you're feeling.

Maryann (& Lily)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amy... I'm so sorry for your loss of such a good friend. I do know exactly how you feel, as I had to do the same 11 years ago with my Cuda, the most loveable Alaskan malamute you've ever seen. Some animals (and people) touch our lives forever. I'm sending you a (((huge hug))).

Kris said...

Amy & Ruby,
I understand your loss as I had to once put my dog down. May Ebenezer rest in peace. You'll be in our prayers tonight. We will miss him when we visit.

Love,
Andy, Kris, Steph & Jen

Joannah said...

Your words are a lovely tribute to your sweet doggie. I'm so sorry for your loss.

When my sister lost her Molly last year, I found this great site www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

It's a really touching video tribute to pets. Watch it with a box of tissues on hand.

Take care...

Tonia said...

OMG Amy!! I am SOoo sorry. I didn't expect hear this news tonight when I logged on. We will keep you and Ruby in our prayers as I know you will be missing your sweet Ebby. He'll be in your heart always!

Hugs -
Tonia from Our Fuling Princess Blog
http://ourfulingprincess.blogspot.com/

Pink Evita said...

Oh I'm so sorry. What heartbreak. Timing is everything, I stopped picking a pee stain from my 14 year old Lhasa to read blogs for a minute. Her time is coming soon, I can sense it. We will be thinking of you and Ruby tonight. Ebby is in a good place. Peace to you in what must be a hard time.

Anonymous said...

Amt,

I am so, so sorry....You did the right thing, but it doesn't make the loss any easier. Sending LOTS of hugs to you and Ruby...

Pug Mama said...

I'm sitting here with tears pouring down my face and all I can think of to say is I'm so sorry...so very sorry.

Kim said...

Oh Amy, I am so very sorry that you lost your fur baby. I know how it feels to love a dog so much that it almost hurts.

I'm shedding tears of sadness for you and sending big hugs.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Nothing, in a very long time, has moved me to tears as much as your beautiful words.

My heart goes out to you.

Tonda

Eliza2006 said...

I'm sorry for your loss. My little Beau is snuggled up beside me right now as I cry. Funny how these little furry babies become our children. Such a nice post and a great tribute to your puppy. Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany

OziMum said...

Ooooo, Amy. It's been ages since I've visited... what devestating news. I can't even imagine what you're feeling, but I hope that you and Ruby, can find something to smile about each day.

I'm so glad that Ruby got to play and "howl" with Eb.

Thinking of you
Lee-Anne

Julie said...

OMG that was so hard to read. I am sorry for your loss. I've been there, it's really hard. It was wonderful of you to post pictures and all the good stuff. Hang in there.

sending you a cyber **hug**

Dani said...

so sorry about your loss. :(

Tammy said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your beloved and loyal fur-baby. You will always cherish the sweet memories of your pup and Ruby getting to be such good buddies (siblings).

Rest in peace Ebenezer.

Sending warm thoughts your way....

Tammy

Shannon said...

Amy, My heart aches for you. Thank you for sharing your special Ebenezer with us. Your words about him and the love you shared have me in tears. Howl away, Ebenezer and enjoy chasing those cats! =)

Anonymous said...

Amy,

What a heartbreak. So sorry to hear about Ebenezer. Such a sweet boy - that's a big loss. But so great that you have Ruby there now to keep you smiling. Take care - we are thinking of you,

Alison

Christi and Abbey said...

I am so sorry Amy, but also so happy that you and your doggy had each other to enjoy for these many years. What a blessing to have a pet like that.

Alyson and Ford said...

We are so sorry for your loss of a very fine companion. You did well writing Ebenezer's story and your love.
We have a wonderful "Heinz 57" dog who is our baby. They are precious and part of our families.

Alyson

Anonymous said...

Amy, my heart goes out to you. I lost my special "friend" two years ago after 14 years. He provided me so much comfort and companionship during some very rough times. I still feel his presence after two years. Our pets are truly selfless and give us so much love in return He will always be first in my heart. His loyalty was a true gift to me. The pain eases very gradually tho even two years later it can hit like a hammer. My heart goes out to you. Get some extra hugs from that special little girl. Sherry Mc (meema waiting for Abby)

Samantha said...

So Sorry!

Karen and Jon said...

My heart goes out to you. What an amazing tribute you wrote to Ebby. Sounds like a great friend and you were a good mom to make the hard but right decision. Hugs.

Susan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Ebenezer. It's a tough loss. Know you've got lots of hugs and good thoughts coming from NC.

Susan and Olivia

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting the beautiful photos of a beautiful friend.

Donna said...

Oh, Amy, what a beautiful tribute to your beloved Ebby. The pain of loosing a four-legged furry friend is incredibly difficult to deal with. I think only those who have lost one truly know the empty feeling.

You did the right thing for Ebby at the right time and I can just picture him in doggie heaven playing with my Sophie, who I had to let go several years back. I'm sure that you and Miss Ruby made Ebby's life rich with love, as he did for you.

Rest in peace sweet Ebby...we will miss seeing your adorable little face, but I know you're in a pain free place now!

Donna