Friday, September 08, 2006

You're kidding... right?


Ok, so tomorrow is Ruby's first official birthday party with all the family & close friends invited...

... sounds fun right? Well, it will be, but there's one thing that has been driving me absolutely apeshit... IF ONE MORE PERSON ASKS ME WHAT RUBY'S 'THEME' IS GOING TO BE I'M GONNA STRANGLE THEM WITH THE STRING FROM ONE OF BEAR'S SWEATERS!

C'MON people, are you freakin' serious? A THEME? Are you seriously asking me that with a straight face? PULLLLLEASEEEEEEEE!
IT'S A TODDLERS BIRTHDAY PARTY, PEOPLE!
She's TWO, not TWENTY TWO!
Good LORD!

Amusement parks have themes...
Books have themes...
Wedding's have themes...
School classrooms have themes...
Display tables in retail stores have themes...

A TWO YEAR OLDS BIRTHDAY PARTY DOES NOT HAVE A THEME!

Honestly, let's just let kids be kids, theme my ass!
You want theme? Ok, how about this, you come, you grab a cupcake & some ice cream, you smile, you eat, you laugh, you enjoy yourself for about an hour, then you leave.
END. OF. STORY.

Listen folks, I'm all for my daughter having a smashing first birthday celebration but, a theme?
These are the same mothers who'se daughters are pros at beauty pagents by age 3.
The same moms who learned how to parent by reading 'all the books'. *sigh*
The same parents who just 'HAVE' to get little Billy those kewl new wheelie shoes cuz 'all the kids have them blah blah blah...
He'll be made fun of otherwise... blah blah blah

How about lettin' little 'Billy' grow some COGLIONE and handle himself on the school ground without the help of your expensive sneakers with wheels?
Now there's a thought... HONESTLY!

My little girl's party has NO THEME...
just some good oldfashioned CUPCAKES, ICECREAM & FUN!
That's it.
No friggen matching plates to matching napkins to funky plasticware to ANY of that stuff, you know why? Because SHE'S TWO PEOPLE!
She won't remember this at all, period.
Sure I'll take pictures and be happy to have them, but, a theme?
Don't get me wrong, when she's OLDER (4, 5 & up etc...) & has an opinion on what she'd like at her birthday party, then BRING ON THE THEMES!
But T-W-O??
*rolling eyes*

Seriously, shit like this makes me worry for our kids futures... if PARENTS are acting like this today, then what the HELL can I expect to see once Ruby is a mother herself?
If she knows what's good for her she'll not act like the 'toddler theme moms'... and no offense to any of my readers should you happen to actually be a theme mom, if that's your thing, if it's what makes your socks go up & down, then by all means, rock on. BUT, don't just assume that because YOU insist on having a theme for your toddler/infant, that every other mother on the planet is ALSO going to have one, because I'm here to tell you that the ONLY theme I'm interested in for tomorrow,
is the one where Ruby's got a BIG FAT SMILE on her face & THAT'S THAT!

And NO I'm not angry at anyone & NO someone didn't ruffle my feathers, period.

I was just sitting here thinking 'wow, tomorrow is my little girls first official birthday party..." with a daydreamy sort of smile on my face & then that smile slowly turned to an aggrivated frown as I recalled all those people who recently berrated me with 'WHAT'S THE THEME?' ' ARE YOU GONNA DO ELMO? OR NEMO?"

First of all, I am not DOING anyone, neither MONSTER nor FISH...
Second of all, have I mentioned she's T-W-O?!?!?!!!!

Ok, how's this for a theme:

Ruby's birthday party will be brought to you tomorrow by the letter R and the number 2!

Sesame street has just left the building...

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Here's a "theme" for you......how about "Birthday Party"? It will be perfect - cake, balloons, candles, hats and blowers. Cinch!!!

Amy said...

LOL YEP! Well said Yvonne! hehehe I was really thinking that these people were joking when they were asking me about her 'theme' LOL Sadly, they weren't.

Cupcakes & Icecream all around!