Saturday, August 18, 2007

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures...

...at least that's how the saying goes, right?
Well, I've reached the end of my rope, or more to the point, the end of my pull up!
Ruby knows how to use the potty.
She's used it several times, SUCCESSFULLY I might add!
She knows that when she goes, she gets a sticker & the whole process is praised beyond praised.
Apparently to a toddler, this just doesn't make much difference to her because as long as she knows she doesn't truly HAVE to do it, she's not going to.
I'm convinced that it doesn't matter if it's a diaper OR a pull up,
basically if it's ANYTHING that will catch the urine and trap it in some way, shape or form,
the kid just isn't going to be on board because kids are savvy and they KNOW that even if they kick & scream & downright REFUSE to use the potty, the really don't have to cuz Momma keeps providing them with said pull up/diaper.
NOT ANYMORE I SAY!
My child, STARTING TODAY, went from pull ups,
to DORA UNDERWEAR FIRST,
then the pull up.
(which sounds counter productive HOWEVER, it isn't... let me explain why.)
FIRST, the underwear is just regular old 100% cotton undies.
She pees, it gets cold & wet & UNCOMFORTABLE!
The pull up OVER the undies is just my own insurance plan so that I don't end up spot treating my couch, carpet, bed... etc.

Ruby only had to experience that feeling ONCE to know she DID NOT LIKE IT!
Needless to say this little girl of mine has used the potty THREE TIMES TODAY
&
been SUCCESSFUL EVERY TIME!
Her chart is LOADED with stickers and I'm loaded with SMILES FINALLY!
So much so that I've stopped putting the dates & just started letting her put stickers wherever she wants to stick them.
Every sticker on this chart represents a successful potty experience!
(No, she's not once done a poop on the potty yet,
but let's conquer one issue at a time, shall we?)



Now, I am, however, inundated with laundry up the Dora, HOWEVER I don't care!
If it means that my child is realizing that she can't play the 'lazy' card anymore & understands that she needs to use the potty for it's intended use, THEN BRING IT ON!

We have a little two step stool that she uses to get up to the sink to brush her teeth
and it conveniently has two little pull out drawers under each step!
(Bottom step houses extra undies & pull ups,
top step houses an array of stickers for her 'potty chart' on the bathroom door!)

Please everyone, keep your fingers, toes, eyes ... etc crossed for us!

Oh, and anyone with any potty training advice on what worked for them, feel free to share.
I know it must sound ridiculous that a Nanny like me with all the years experience I have is asking for advice but honestly, I just think it's totally different when it's your own child.
I NEVER had any trouble potty training any of the kids I've cared for over the years.
Ever.
Ruby?
Man am I getting a run for my money this time!
My mom just smiles & says:
"God has a sense of humor Amy... remember, you wet the bed till you were 11, that's alot of laundry!"
Thanks Ma, that's just what I wanted to be reminded of at a time like this... good times!

NOT!

No comments: