Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Tuesday Night CANCELLED Club...?



...Ok, CBS- what GIVES?
Tuesday Night Book Club was just YANKED from the air without warning. My TiVo didn't even know what hit it!
Scott & I had planned to curl up every wed night to catch the previous night's drama.
Granted we've only just started this weekly ritual, but when they've only aired the first two eppisodes, they really didn't give us much choice but to have JUST started to enjoy it, correct?

Sure there's other things on tv to watch but I kinda liked this show. Sure it's title has nothing to do with what it's actually about, these women wouldn't know what it's like to pick up a book & read it through to the end if they're life depended on it, however...
They were real.
They were interesting.
They were trying so desperately to be 'perfect' when truly, perfection doesn't come in the form of a syrringe filled with botox.
Despite their high powered jobs, their access to money, the flashy cars matching an even flashier lifestyle they all had underlying issues:
Emotional Drama: the common denominator that connects us all
on the most basic of human levels.

No matter how wonderful your life may seem to the outsider, chances are that behind every closed door, there's a tear being shed, or a fight just moments from exploding,
or some tragedy about to spin your life right up on it's ass.
Things aren't always what they seem & these women, exccentric though they may be, were brave enough to let cameras follow them, follow their lives, their families, their drama for a national audience... at the very least, they get kudos for that.

I wanna know if anyone else out there started to watch this show & was giving it a chance just as CBS yanked it abruptly like an infected tooth?

I left the following Comment on tvsquad.com in regards to CBS's sudden removal of the show:

"My boyfriend Scott & I had plans of curling up on the
couch every
tuesday night to tune in, but then last night- Nothing. It's sad that
there was no warning, no reasoning why, just pulled hard & fast, like
an infected tooth. It's sad really, because not only did we enjoy the
show, but it was our time. Our time to snuggle, to watch these women,
trophy wives they may be, but still REAL to the core. Under the botox
and lack of actually reading the books they selected, were real issues
unfolding & tears shed for things that no drug or fancy car can fix. I
agree that it wasn't properly showcased beforehand. I never even heard
of it until I think the night before the show, so I TiVo'd it, what
could it hurt, if it sucked, I cancel the recording... but it was
interesting and we both enjoyed it. I very much would like to see the
remaining eppisodes aired, if not on tuesday nights, maybe on a 'not
so must see' night just for those of us who WANT to SEE WHAT HAPPENS
NEXT! I think I speak for that small percentage of people who tuned
in... please let us finish what we started... otherwise it's all too
reminicent of my childhood & the neighborhood 'indian giver' kid who
I still loathe to this day. Don't be that kid CBS... "

It seems as though Scott & I were in the minority concerning 'T.N.B.C.", I googled it this morning & came across several articles that were slightly harsh, this one in the The Arizona Republic, another one here at The Hollywood Reporter.com and even another at tvsquad/BLOGGING TELEVISION.

I want to know what you all thought, I guess at the most basic of levels, I'm a voyeur... I mean really, who wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall of someone else's life?
Sign me up!
All it really does is make the problems in our own lives seem trite,
if only for those 60 minutes every tuesday night.

Guess now I'm gonna have to go back to knitting scarves & watching old reruns of FRIENDS.
*sigh*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear your show was cancelled, i am a little surprised you cancelled steve wasn't he the standing date for tuesdays... first idol... then quality tivo time... trying new recipes.....has he been replaced by scott????

what about quality stevo time???

Amy said...

Steve is my cousin & can't be cancelled by 'family default'. LOL He still comes over every tuesday night, and we have dinner & did watch Idol but now we watch 'last comic standing'.

I said that Scott & I get together every WED night to watch the previous night's drama about those women in AZ. Just a bummer they canceled the show. Oh well, I think Scott & I are gonna have 'game night' every wed night now... UNO anyone? hee hee