Sunday, November 19, 2006

Diary of a sick toddler...

...captains log: day one, bronchitis:

6:30am woke up in Momma's bed happy but still very sick & with a high fever
7:00am Cereal & milk + vitamins for breakfast
7:15am penicillin & Tylenol
7:30am Maisy TiVo time on couch with Bear
8:30am warm bath complete with hair washing & deep conditioning
9:00am dressed back into toasty pj's & back on couch with Bear
10:20am fell asleep on floor in front of pink toasty chair, gently laid into Pack-N-Play to finish out remainder of nap
11:30am woke up hungry & thirsty, signing 'food' & 'drink', gave her peanut butter pretzel sandwiches & water sippy with ice & more penicillin & Tylenol.
(both winners in this house even when very sick & refusing all other foods...)
12:00pm more Maisy time, Bear sensing a routine forming...
1:00pm fast asleep again on floor, this time Momma leaves well enough alone & covers both Ruby & Bear over with a toasty blanket.
3:00pm awake again, asking for more food & drink, downstairs to Nannas house to see what we might find
3:105pm eating cool ranch doritos at Nannas since refusing everything else she had to offer.
(no pbpretzels at Nannas...)
4:00pm back upstairs to do a puzzle or two but then signing for more water & maisy
4:10pm couch this time with fresh water sippy & Bear, who is not shocked to be watching the same episode of Maisy that he saw just moments ago it seems...
5:30pm fast asleep on couch to the point where eventually I hear serious snoring
6:00pm laid them both gently into the crib, sound asleep for what appears to be the night...
11:00pm (momma just finished up watching The Shawshank Redemption) went into Ruby's room one last time to check on her before going to bed herself.
Enters room only to find Ruby sitting straight up with Bear in her arms & smiling saying AND signing: "Hi Momma, eat? Food? Drink? Waffles?" etc...

THE GIRL WANTS WAFFLES, THE GIRL GETS WAFFLES!
Could've cared less if it was 3:45am, my girl who basically refused food nearly all day, wants waffles then damnit SHE GETS WAFFLES!

12:00am 4 mini waffles, 1/2 banana, 4 oz milk, a handfull of cheerios & one final dose of penicillin & Tylenol later and Ruby & Bear are both out cold in the toasty comfort of Momma's bed.
So much for no 'co-sleeping' huh?
I guess when I was doing all my 'nanny preaching' bullshit I forgot to take into consideration the possibility of a sick child. Against my rules or not, I'll be damned if I'm not going to keep my daughter's labored breathing so close that I can feel it tickle the back of my own throat!
When babies are sick, co-sleeping is A'OK in my book!
Now, you'll excuse me as I go enjoy my midnight snack of fillet of 'sole'.
*wink*

No comments: