Sunday, November 05, 2006

'Do Over'...

... that's what I wanted this morning, a DO OVER!
Where the hell's a time machine when you need one?
What happened, you ask?

My own little series of unfortunate events if you will...

Turn back the clock to 1992... I graduated top in my class at Essex Aggie Tech in Cosmetology.
Yeah for me, I was finally a hairdresser... something I had always loved & thought of doing but not until a rough patch in nannying (when you're a self employed nanny it's not always easy to find the next job when you need it...) so being faced with no job & not a backup plan in sight, I knew it was time to do something with my 'like' of 'playing with hair' and make it into a valid fallback, a sort of 'employment insurance plan'.

I worked professionally as a stylist for a while, mastering in cutting specifically, and loved it until I realized that I loved nannying more. I left haircutting & went back to my first true love, the children.
Oh, I still cut hair, just now not in a fancy schmancy salon,
but rather out of my humble yet cozy kitchen & now only here & there, not every day.

Now, that said- here's my morning.

I woke up, had my usual Ruby routine of giggles, new diaper, more giggles, breakfast, tea, smiles, vitamins, toast with 'peabarr', more tea, some milk to wash it all down & then a dose of silly time before getting down from the table with Bear in hand
to search out the toys for the day.

Great, Ruby's taken care of, every thing's status quo... time for a SHOWER!
*Oh, it's going to be a GLORIOUS day! I'm actually getting a SHOWER!*
(all you moms KNOW what I mean by that, no need to elaborate, period)

Anyhoo, so I'm in the shower & I realize how absolutely disgustingly LONG my hair is!
Then it occured to me that I hadn't had a haircut since BEFORE LEAVING FOR CHINA!
THAT WAS NEARLY A FREAKIN' YEAR AGO!
*unacceptable*

Man, before becoming a mother I made monthly appts for manicures, pedicures,
hair cuts & colors etc...
After becoming a mother?
(do I really need to get into why a day WITH a shower is a gift?)
LOL

So I was absolutely fed up with the long hair & upon getting out of the shower, grabbed my comb & shears & headed to my bedroom to sit in front of my mirror with my wastebasket in front of me.
I'm sure there's no need to go into detail as I'm guessing you can draw your own conclusions as to what happened next...

...and when it was over... my basket was full of a CRAP TON OF THICK HEAVY BLACK HAIR and I was sitting there wondering when exactly I had lost all my marbles?
(was it last Tuesday... maybe it was Wednesday?)

Immediately I picked up my cell & dialed my friend Alaina (a fellow graduate & stylist) and asked if she wouldn't mind coming over for a bit of damage control?

She giggled & said " you cut it yourself didn't you?" then didn't even wait for an answer cuz she knows, SHE'S BEEN THERE TOO! I think we (hairdressers) all have done it at one point or another.

So, tonight she came over, looked over the long layers I had given myself on the front & sides but not the back, why? CUZ I COULDN'T REACH THE DAMN BACK! lol
She did her damage control & you know what? BEST HAIRCUT EVER! Seriously,
I LOVE IT and could not be happier.
And the best part? She said that I had done a great job & if I could have reached the back properly, that I would not have needed her help at all.
That's a nice thing to hear but it certainly DOESN'T MEAN I'm going to be attempting the
'self shear' again anytime soon!
LOL

My hair is still long (remember it was obscenely long to begin with) so cutting a ton off really didn't make much of a difference... but I'm happy with it. It's cute & flouncy & bouncy and looks healthy & now I'm good for another year.
Cuz God KNOWS that will probably be when I have the time for the next cut. LOL

So, my 'DO OVER' turned out to be a 'MAKE OVER' in disguise!
=)

THANKS ALAINA!
(and no I don't have a photo to share just yet but I'm sure once Karen & Gwen arrive on Tuesday, we'll be taking a zillion pics so eventually you'll all see the doo)
For now, just use your imagination... and put my smiling face on it.
*grin*


7 comments:

My Baby Ain't White said...

Damn, you got rid of the mullet before we could get up there...sigh. And to think, I was just teaching Gwen to say, "Aunt Mimi's mullet..."

Heh.

~Karen

Amy said...

Not only will I kick your ass, BUT I will REFUSE to feed you... *grin*

THIS IS A MULLET FREE ZONE!

Thank you for shopping R.I.H.O.T.... do come again!

My Baby Ain't White said...

Eeeek....so sorry dear mullet - oops - I mean, madam.

Your risotto needy friend,
Karen

Amy said...

Dear Mullet?
Hmmm so that's how you wanna play it? Ok Freudian friend, I'll feed your ass but I make no promises about whether or not I've spit in the zotto.

Your move... *laughing*

My Baby Ain't White said...

Ah screw it....I give.

Give me my freaking risotto. I bet it's tasty, even with a little spit.

~Karen

Amy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
BBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know, it probably is. LOL ;)

Now, get your ass up here baby & I'll teach you HOW TO MAKE IT YOURSELF! (spit optional')
*grin*
Oh, and for dessert?
How does a wed night Matty sound to you?
*evilgrin*

G'NIGHT!

Anonymous said...

girls, girls, I am sooo jealous!! My husband is again somewhere out there (New Hampshire) this week and I wish I went with him so I can have fun with you two. But I know someone has to stay home and take care of the two munchkins. I can't wait until summer to see the two of you.

Have a great time and I too can't wait to try this famous "risotto".

Sherrie in HB