Monday, November 20, 2006

One year since 'got'cha'...

(a letter to my daughter on our special day...)


Dear Ruby,

It's hard to believe we've been Ruby & Momma for a solid year now when really,
it feels like a lifetime, since before I knew you in my life, you lived in my heart.

While Momma was in China waiting to see your precious face in person, I knew I had to figure out a way to mark that special first day of ours in a very unique way. After much thought, Momma decided to mark the day with a special little gift... but not just any gift, one from your place of birth, from China. Sure I knew I could just as easily buy a bunch of little things from the states & give you a new little gift every year but it wouldn't be the same, and I knew it.

So, while at the Cloisonne place in Beijing, I purchased a bag full of little Christmas tree ornaments, all very precious, all unique, all from China and all just like you, one of a kinds. I knew that every year, on the anniversary of our 'got'cha' day, I'd let you reach into that bag full of little red boxes & take one out. Then you'd carefully open it as I watched & whatever ornament was inside, was to be our newest addition to our Christmas tree that year.

There were 33 ornaments originally. (in the excitement of arriving home that first night way back on Nov 30th, 2005... family members got some & that's ok.) I have since had friends get a few more here & there & now Momma only needs six more to make our original 33 back. Momma has some very wonderful kind friends who she can ask to bring some back for us when they travel to China, so please don't worry. I'll find a way to get those last six ornaments baby girl... I promise!

Oh, and why 33? Because that's the number of years that Momma had to wait to find you.

My hope is that someday, when you've opened all 33 ornaments, and they then adorn your Christmas tree in your home, that just the mere sight of them all, makes you smile.
And seeing all 33 of them helps to bring back memories of each & every 'got'cha' day that we've celebrated together since our very first one.

I love you so much baby, to the moon & back, and the sun & back, and the stars & back and to China & back!

Happy Got'cha Day baby, you're my living breathing dream come true!

Love always,

-Momma
XoXoXoXoXo

ps. A few photos from the morning of our first got'cha anniversary... let the traditions begin!

Got'cha Day Ornaments:
Nov 20th, 2005 (teapot)
Nov 20th, 2006 (Navy heart w/butterfly)
...to be continued.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What an awesome tradition... happy one year!!

Amy said...

Thanks, we think so too! ;)

Miss you guys!

-Amy & Ruby Cate

Special K said...

Happy Gotcha Day Anniversary!

I like this idea, too. I might have to borrow it. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st year Ruby Cate and Amy...

Sherrie in HB