Monday, November 13, 2006

Tuesday's w/Uncle Steve... * FINAL UPDATE *

... ok so recently I was asked by a good friend of mine if I would start posting my Tuesday night recipes back to the blog again for all to enjoy... and the answer is YES!

Ok so here's what's on tap for tomorrow night's dinner with my cousin, Ruby's Uncle Steve...

Italian Meatball & Portabello Mushroom Soup:

Ingredients: 2T butter
2T extra virgin olive oil
1 Large red bell pepper chopped
1 clove freshly minced garlic
1 large spanish onion chopped
3 pkg's large sliced portabello mushrooms, cut into chunks
( I like ALOT of mushrooms!)
16 frozen cooked italian style meatballs (usually in the frozen food section)
4 cups beef stock
2t italian seasoning
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup (or more like 3-4 ITALIAN HANDFULLS) dried egg noodles
Gravy Master (few shakes around pot) for added flavor & darker color (optional)

Directions: In large soup pot, go twice around with extra virgin olive oil & add butter.
Cook until slight sizzle.
Add garlic, onions, peppers, mushrooms & saute' for several minutes.
Add meatballs, beef stock & italian seasoning & cook till comes to a boil.
(10 - 12 minutes)
add noodles & reduce heat & cook for 5 minutes till pasta is tender. Serve with freshly grated parm cheese (IMPORTED STUFF NOT THE CRAPPY SHAKER SHIT!) on top & some hot from the oven garlic bread & ENJOY!

Yes, that's what we're having tomorrow night for dinner & yes I'll take pictures of it once it's done. =)

Oh, and if you do the prep work for the chopping & dicing of the veggies the night before, it makes this meal A LOT EASIER to throw together last minute.

Ciao!

UPDATED PHOTOS:

Veggies sauteing in pot...

Beef stock added...


Time to add the meatballs...

Meatballs in pot...


Add italian seasoning, salt & freshly ground pepper...

Cover & simmer on medium to low heat until reaches a boil...

(still simmering here so no more pics as of yet but once boil has been achieved, I'll add my noodles & cook for an additional 10 minutes & then add the final pics then...)

so far, SO GOOD!
*grin*

*UPDATED AGAIN*


Ok, once boil has been achieved, it's time to add the egg noodles...


I honestly don't measure, this was about 4 handfulls of extra wide noodles...

Stir them in well, cover & let cook for an additional 10 minutes...

(mmm my house smells SO GOOD it's almost time to MANGIA!)

Oh yeah, you know you're JEALOUS...
*evilgrin*

Little miss Ruby Tuesday LOVES her dinner!
(Bear's gonna sit this one out apparently...)

It's official... dinner ROCKS!
(Ruby ate that WHOLE BOWL, but only under the stipulation that every individual bite HAD A NEW SPRINKLE OF CHEESE ON IT! Man, is my kid Italian or WHAT?!@$)

MANGIA TUTTI!

(And Uncle Steve, don't you worry, that entire POT IS STILL FULL so there's plenty for us for tomorrow night my friend, you WILL EAT!)
*wink*

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!! We tried this tonite and it was fab! Arianna LOVED it!! I modified it a bit, starting with a rue and making into more of a stoup. I also upped the garlic (we LOVE garlic) and used ditalini instead of egg noodles (what I had in the pantry). I also substituted the green pepper (didn't have it) with zucchini (did have it). Can't wait to try the "real" version after I hit the supermarket!! Thanks for a great dinner idea!

Amy said...

You're welcome my friend... ANYTIME!

=)

*ps: we made a bit of a rue as well & stuck to the recipe but also added a bit of gravy master for added flavor & a darker color! SO FRIGGEN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy said...

Psst... Kat, it's RED pepper, not green. ;) LOL
But as you saw you can honestly do whatever you want to this soup to suit your needs & it STILL WORKS! Happy cooking everyone!

-Amy & (one very full & happy) Miss Ruby Cate

Yvonne said...

Well, I'll have to try it - sounds so good on a cold evening! by the way - what's the measurment on the mushrooms? (or am I blind and I missed it). If you want my minestrone soup recipe - say the word and I'll get it to you! ymi717@yahoo.com

Amy said...

Duh Yvonne, I'm so stupid that I forgot to even mention the mushrooms in the recipe! LOL
I updated the info but I used 3 packages of LARGE PORTABELLO MUSHROOM SLICES! I cut them into large chunks & honestly to me, the more the MERRIER! *grin*

Also, I ended up making a HUGE BATCH so rather than just 4 cups of stock, tonight I had so much in the pot I ended up using 10 cups of stock so that's why the 4 handfulls of egg noodles. Had I only used the original 4 cups of stock, one handfull of noodles would've been enough.
Enjoy everyone!

Kricket said...

aw geez, that looks so good... but I'm allergic to mushrooms. :( I look forward to the next recipe you post. I'm always up for more dinner ideas. :) (especially as the mom/wife of a family that is extremely picky!)

Amy said...

Kricket... omit the mushrooms & put in their place any hearty veggie of your choice! Zucchini would work, Potato's chopped up small, broccoli etc... it doesn't have to be mushrooms, I just do them because I ADORE THEM! Find whatever you adore & use it in place of the mushrooms & you've got yourself a soup! =)

-Amy & Ruby Cate

Anonymous said...

I used a rue too. Gave it a little more of a stewish texture. This "stoup" was so quick and easy to make. It get 4 stars!! Can't wait for next week's recipe!

Amy said...

LMFAO GIRL, DON'T RUSH ME!!! LOL I haven't a CLUE what I'm going to be making next week! LOL I usually decide the weekend before when I'm out grocery shopping... things just catch my eye & I turn them into dinners. LOL

Stay tuned... ;)