Monday, November 20, 2006

Tuesdays with Uncle Steve...

...It's that time again, and this week, in lieu of Thanksgiving being around the corner, rather than make something specific for dinner tomorrow night (which is what I usually do) Uncle Steve & I are going to send out for these FANTASTIC OUT OF THIS WORLD WRAPS from a little local place called 'WRAPTURE'.
Last time we indulged in their delicious wraps was when Karen & Gwen were up & boy did everyone enjoy their eats!
I believe Uncle Steve got the Asian stir fry ( snow peas, scallions, bean sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onion & garlic) with steak over noodles.
Karen got the grilled steak wrap: Goat cheese, roasted poblano peppers, roasted corn, garlic puree, limed onions, greens & grilled steak wrapped in a red pepper wrap.
And I got the: Portabella Mushroom wrap: Big huge thick chunks of portabella mushrooms, cheddar cheese, baby spinach, red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, roasted garlic puree & steak wrapped in a white flour tortilla.

SERIOUSLY DELICIOUS STUFF PEOPLE!

But since we're going to be partaking of them again, I realized that in doing so, that leaves you all with no recipe to indulge in yourselves... SO:

In honor of this being the first official Thanksgiving home for both Ruby and me,
(last year instead of enjoying turkey, we were munchin' on Noodles in China!)
I figured I should share with you all the things that I typically volunteer to make every year.

Caramelized Onion & Cornbread Stuffing

~and~

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes.

Both SINFULLY DELICIOUS!
(man do I just love Thanksgiving)

Ok, so here's the cornbread recipe first...

Caramelized Onion & Cornbread Stuffing:

Ingredients:
2T butter
2 onions chopped
6 large corn muffins, cubed. (I prefer mine from the bakery)
1 egg
hand full of fresh sage leaves, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chicken stock
salt & freshly ground pepper

Instructions: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 375)

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions & cook, stirring for about
10min or until soft & caramelized. Add sage & scrape into large mixing bowl.
Add cornbread pieces, season well with salt & pepper & give a good toss until well combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, cream & stock & pour that over cornbread.

Stir stuffing together & spoon into a buttered baking (Pyrex) dish and put into oven for about 30 minutes or until hot & crusty on top.
ENJOY!

Now, on to the DESSERT!

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes

Ingredients:

CAKE-
1 yellow cake mix
1 egg
8T butter melted

FILLING-
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 15oz can pumpkin
3 eggs
1t vanilla
8T butter melted
1 16oz box powdered sugar
1t cinnamon
1t nutmeg

Directions: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 350)
Combine cake mix, egg & butter. Mix well with electric mixer & then pat into bottom of lightly greased 13X9 pan.

To make filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese & pumpkin until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla & butter and beat together. Next, add powdered sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40-50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake, center SHOULD BE a little gooey. (hence, the name!)

Serve with fresh whipped cream on top & ENJOY!


(& don't forget to wear your 'FUN PANTS' aka: Thanksgiving pants!)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

YUM!! Anything with Goat cheese is good with me!

I wanted to thank you for posting your visit to the comics from Last Comic Standing a few months back. We were lucky enough to see them last night. GREAT time!!

kitchu said...

I just wanted to thank you for commenting on my blog about my "good" mom dreams... it meant so much to me and I had no idea anyone other than really close friends ever looked at the darn thing! I have followed yours only recently as it took me awhile to figure out how to browse through them. Ruby is one adorable little girl!
Kris