Monday, February 19, 2007

*Tuesdays With Uncle Steve...

...Betty's Chili!!

Ok, in all fairness this is TECHNICALLY my mother's recipe,
HOWEVER,
I chose a RED pepper instead of a green one
&
crimini mushrooms rather than button mushrooms
&
I used 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic minced!

(Always Italian even when cooking Mexican, baby!)

Ok so here's my mom's recipe before I changed things up:



Ingredients:
Olive oil about 2-3 tablespoons
1 large green pepper chopped
1 large vidalia onion chopped
1 pkg button mushrooms sliced
(I rough chop mine, I like BIG HUNKS of MUSHROOMS!)
1 lg can chopped diced tomatoes
1 lg can red kidney beans
1 lb hamburg
salt & pepper to taste
1 level teaspoon of chili powder

Directions:



Place all chopped veggies in large pot & drizzle olive oil all over till coated. Cook & stir until onions become slightly transparent.


(about 5-7 minutes on med high heat)




Then throw in hamburg & cook until fully frizzled.
(yes, she said frizzled, is that even a word? I'll have to look that one up!)


Once hamburg is cooked, add rest of ingredients,



(chili powder & all) & mix well.


Reduce heat,




& let simmer for 1 hour.

Then shut off heat & let cool a little before serving.
Best served with fresh Italian bread & salad.

Enjoy!

*since it's technically not really 'Tuesday' yet as I'm making the chili a day ahead of schedule,
(it's Monday & Ruby didn't nap & is crying, fun fun fun)
there won't be finished images of the dish until serving it tomorrow night.
For now this will have to do, a day early but trust me, this chili is way better the second day!
More tomorrow... I promise!


3 comments:

Cindy and Co. said...

We've been on a chili kick and this looks really good.

Mommy & Daddy said...

I LOVE BETTY"S CHILLI!!!!!

Michele said...

Love all of your recipes. Does Ruby eat all of these??? My 2 year old would, but my 4 year old...give her pasta every night and she would be thrilled....pickest eater this side of China hehehehe.
Michele, Mom to Emily (Yunnan) and Alyssa (Chongqing).