Thursday, February 15, 2007

Don't ask, don't blog...

Some of you may have noticed that I no longer have 'links' to other blogs as before.
Truth is, I follow SO many & do so via 'blog lines' that,
really, there's no reason to have them all listed here.
Those of you who's blogs I read, know I'm frequenting them.
After all, what's a site meter for, right?

I just needed to get back to what this blog was originally about,
the writing.
The documenting, venting, sharing, lamenting & storytelling
that it was truly meant to be.

I love to write, always have... & somewhere along the way this blog started to become less about the writing & more about the links, pictures & books etc...

So here we are, back to the best laid plans ever...

...writing so that someday,
my daughter can go back into the archives of her mother's words
& see one of a kind moments from a period of her life long since gone.

I always sit & wonder what it would be like to have a similar resource at my fingertips...
...only this time, the words being those of my mother.
Words of how her day went, how easy/tough/fun/challenging it was
to raise myself & my brother all those years ago.
A time machine of sorts.

How much did bread cost, gas per gallon?
What was her daily life like?
Was my dad silly with us kids once arriving home from work every day?
What motivated her to put pen to paper...
...what motivated her to not?

I have thought of asking such questions from time to time,
but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying
that my mother is from the 'don't ask don't tell' generation
where much of anything worth hearing was swept under the carpet never to resurface.

I never understood why it is that I am who I am knowing that I came from where I did.

I talk about EVERYTHING, spare NOTHING,
& enjoy talking just for the simple joys of
1. hearing my own voice
&
2. sharing a story for others to enjoy.

I hope that someday, when Ruby is older,
she too will enjoy & keep regularly a journal of sorts;
whether it be in a 'blogger' form or the old fashioned way,
with paper & pen.

Someday when I'm long gone, & all that's left of me are the words & stories I've left behind,
I hope that her children's children can laugh at how crazy their great Nannie was,
and that they feel like they don't need to ask so many questions-
-because the answers, most of them anyways, are theirs for the reading.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I like the change. I guess I must have done something wrong when I tried to change the look of mine. I've also been trying to figure out a way to archive by year instead of month, but I must be dumb when it comes to blogs.