Saturday, January 06, 2007

Holy FREAKIN' Delicious...

Man, do I just
LOVE RACHAEL RAY!
She's a goddamn GENIUS in the kitchen
& this recipe is proof positive of that!

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped or 1 large onion, finely chopped
1 - 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

salt and pepper
1 quart chicken stock
4 cups chopped or torn stale bread (about 1/2 pound)
2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, such as Goya brand (smaller than cannellini beans)
1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass at table
10 fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)

Heat a medium soup pot over medium heat.
Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and 3/4 of the onion.

Cook 7 to 8 minutes, then add tomatoes and crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.

Add stock and raise heat to make the soup bubble.

Reduce heat to simmer and add bread and beans.


Stir soup as it simmers until it thickens to a stew-like consistency.





Turn off heat, adjust seasonings and ladle into shallow bowls.

(when your spoon can stand up straight on it's own in the center of the stoup,
OH IT'S DONE BABY!)


Top with grated cheese, an additional drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and a spoonful of reserved finely chopped raw onions.

Mmmmmmm... SO DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!


4 comments:

Yvonne said...

Now that looks....and sounds pretty good. I'll have to try it!

Shauna and MacLean said...

Amy, I love your recipes and have tried many of them. My lunch club at work loves all of the recipes I have borrowed from you and used. I make lunch once per week and then four other people make it the rest of the week. So I think that is the best I only have to prepare lunch once a week. This new recipe is being printed as we speak and I will try it out next week. Thanks and KEWL brain pic! Shauna

munchkinsmom said...

Hey, I always have stale bread at home. I will try this recipe tomorrow. Aaah, about your brain picture. I am praying hard that everything is coming out okay.

Sherrie in HB

Kris said...

She's one of my favorites too! I love watching $40 a Day and Tasty Travels.