Thursday, January 11, 2007

Men In Trees Deserve CHOWDAH...

...ESPECIALLY THIS ONE HOLY CHRIST SO GOOD!

Bacon, Veggie & Potato Chowdah!

Ingredients: 1/2 lb bacon chopped (I buy the low sodium bacon)
5 lg potatos cubed small
3 stalks celery chopped
2 T butter
1 Lg onion chopped (I use spanish onions)
3 T all purpose flour
2 & 1/2 cups milk
4 cups chicken stock
1 10oz pkg frozen mixed veggies of your choice
ground thyme
&
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste



Directions: In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter



& add bacon & celery.


Cook celery until slightly transparent, (a few minutes) then add onion & pepper.



Cook until onion now becomes slightly transparent & add few shakes of ground thyme.




Add flour in bottom of pot & create a roux.
(a thickneing agent to make it thicker, if it seems a bit dry, you may add more butter)
Slowly stir in milk & stock & blend well.



Cook & stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. (12-14 minutes)
Add potatos & frozen veggies & continue cooking until next full boil. (8-10 minutes)



Reduce heat to low & cook stirring often until potatos are fork tender. (6-8 minutes)



Shut off heat & let sit for about 15 minutes before serving.



We served ours with 'tastefully simple wheat beer bread' OMG SO GOOD!
& so COMPLETELY EASY TO DO!


(that's right, you KNOW you're JEALOUS!)

Normally I take a final shot of the finished dinner but you'll forgive me if tonight I was so hungry that I forgot to do that cuz I was too busy EATING IT! hehehe

Enjoy!
(& happy MEN IN TREES everyone!)
Mmmmmmmmmm JACK!
*drool*

5 comments:

munchkinsmom said...

Is it pronounced "chowdah" or "chowder"? Anyway, this look so good that I am going to try this out tomorrow. I need good warm chowdah for these cold nights. Nathan and I can have it - the girls just give me "the look" meaning "no thanks Mom".

Thanks for sharing the recipe and I am so glad your result of your MRI is good.

Sherrie in HB

Unknown said...

MMMMMMM It was so good the show was great too. Can't wait till next week!!!

Yvonne said...

Gawsh.....love that beer bread! I have 3 boxes in the cabinet - and I need to get some beer and bake it!

Samantha said...

LOVE JACK shhh don't tell Joe!

Phyllis said...

I can't wait to try this one-- looks like it'll be a hit with the family!