Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Anyone in the mood for a PARTY?


...ok, as most of you may know, I've been a professional Nanny for many years, 15+ to be exact. In all those years I never once had to collect unemployment, which came in handy when it was time for me to stay home with Ruby... granted it's not nearly as much as I was making when I was working but it was enough to get by and enjoy every day with my child.

Sadly, my unemployment days are coming to a close with my last week to collect being the first week of April.
Normally, I wouldn't worry because I always tend to find more work but it's different now. I have a child to consider... I want to care for someone's child in the comfort & safety of my own home rather than commute to them as in all the previous years. Seems easy enough but there are alot of families who aren't 'keen' on this idea, don't ask but it's just the way it is.

... with my money slowly dissappearing & a child looking to me to provide, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified, because I am.
I look daily in the classified's, check through my network of friends & the 'word of mouth' system, look constantly on craigslist etc... but nothing.
It's weird, I was just talking tonight to a friend of mine who is also a Nanny & she said she wished she could help me out but it seems like whenever there are families in need of a Nanny, we all have work... and on the flip side, when there's a bunch of us Nannies in need of employment, no families can be found.
Let's add to this the fact that I'm a single mother with no husband to help out & make the stress just a little less.... and let's toss in some MS for good measure keeping in mind all the while that since going on unemployment I've gone 'sans' health ins... oh yes, this is my PITY (holy shit I'm terrified, what am I gonna do)PARTY.. and you're all invited so please, won't you pull up a chair & I'll pour you a steaming cup of tea? (It's about all I can offer at this point so hopefully that'll do...)

Any suggestions on what to do to try to make it through April
without suffering from a nervous breakdown in front of my daughter?
Or how to start earning money quick? Or maybe anyone have a rich uncle?
It sucks but this is honestly the first time in a LONG time that I'm officially terrified...
...keep both Ruby & Me in your prayers please, I know we'll need all we can get!


8 comments:

M. said...

Amy, at the risk of suggesting something you've already tried, have you been on sitter city? Isadora's been using it and the mommies are pounding down the door. My fingers are crossed that something will come through for you very soon!

Debra Sue said...

I'll be keeping you two in my thoughts. Like Marisa, I to am keeping my fingers crossed.
Love the new look, BTW.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy,
Do you have any connections to your local elementary school. Lots of folks at my school here in Denver are working on lining up daycare for the summer. I had a Mom of one of my daughter's classmates ask me yesterday if my nanny would be interested in watching her daughter a couple of days a week during the summer. Since my kids a 4 and 7 it works for me if my nanny wants to pick up some extra cash by having a playmate for my older daughter come to the house a couple of days a week. It seems like a win-win for everyone.
Lenora

Anne said...

Amy,
I have no idea if this is something you would be interested in... but I can share with you what my husband is doing as his full-time job that enables me to be able to be a stay-at-home mom. You can call this number: (888) 238-1908... and find out more about it. Email me (anne@freedombuilders.org)if it sounds like something you'd be interested in.
I'll be keeping you and Miss Ruby in my prayers!
Anne

Tammy said...

The previous posts have some good ideas. Our local libraries and YMCA have areas to post business/ childcare services.

I'm sending good thoughts your way. If you lived nearby I would love a cup of tea (and a good party).

Best of luck,
Tammy

Unknown said...

I don't have any grand words of wisdom, but just wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts. I hope things work out, I'm SURE they will! I agree about the local FCC, people are ALWAYS asking around here.

Lisa and Tate said...

AMy-
I totally understand where you are coming from.... Tate isn't even home and I am having sleepless nights with worries!!! Things will work out...You will be in my prayers. Have a cuppa for me...I like mine sweet and creamy.

Lisa

Pink Evita said...

You are in my thoughts. I am hoping this will work out where you can have Ruby and another child or two at home with you full time. My daughter attends preschool at a church and there is a bulletin referral board. I wonder if a few local churches would allow you to post your credentials on their referral board so preschooler and church parents could see?
Thinking good thoughts for you.