Saturday, March 25, 2006

Thanksgiving in March?

THAT'S RIGHT!
THANKSGIVING IN MARCH!!
ABSOFRIGGENLUTELY!
(oooh, another word for Dictionary Schmictionary)


Anyhoo... so most of you probably already know this but,
the time I was in China with my precious little doodlebug
was right about the time that THANKSGIVING happened...

... AND I MISSED IT!

Now, obviously I'd not change going to China to be with miss Ruby for the WORLD but

MISSING THE TURKEY? THE CRANBERRY? THE STUFFING? MY DAD'S ITALIAN PEAS?

...sigh.

SO TODAY, MY FAMILY HAS STEPPED UP & IS PREPARING TO HAVE
AN ALL OUT, FULL BLOWN, THANKSGIVING DINNER
COMPLETE WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS!

Now, obviously this makes me very happy since I still was bummed that I missed it-


(noodles for thanksgiving doesn't cut it people...)

but truth be told, part of 'what' I missed wasn't just the delicious food, but really more the house being packed full of my family & all of us being loud & talking too much & being silly & just having a wonderful day.

The biggest part of what I missed would have to be the 'ceremonial picking of the bird' with my cousin Steve.

Steve & I are only a few years apart, and although we're now in our 30's... when Thanksgiving rolls around, we're INSTANTLY KIDS AGAIN, and getting into trouble!

Every year starting when we were too young to know we shouldn't be doing this but old enough to know that something smelled good, we both knew we HEARD THE BIRD CALLING US!

So, we would creep quietly into the kitchen to do the honorary 'picking of the bird' and each year we THOUGHT we had devised a foolproof plan of getting in & out without being caught!
After all, this IS a two person job... one to be the 'lookout' while the other is doing the 'picking'...

Every year, without fail, for as BRILLIANT as we thought we were & as AMAZING a plan as we were CERTAIN we had devised...

...WE WERE CAUGHT!

Man, you only have to HEAR your mother yelling...

"AMY ELIZABETH!!!"

and you KNEW you were in trouble!

It's that middle name that sends fear deep into the heart of a child.

You hear that middle name & you KNEW your ass was in SERIOUS TROUBLE!

Still, every year, TO THIS DAY, Steve and I PICK at that poor bird and I have to say that this past thanksgiving was the FIRST TIME EVER that I wasn't here to 'pick'.

So today, although amazing as I know it will be, still will NOT be the same without my cousin here to join me in us STILL getting yelled at for our bird picking antics, all these many years later.
Grown adults (and I use the term adult very loosely) STILL getting into trouble & not caring EVERY YEAR because, let's face it, if we managed to get a GOOD PIECE OF CRUNCHY SKIN prior to the 'middle name yelling', it was all good and WELL WORTH BEING SPOKEN TO BY MY MOTHER! hahaha

Sorry Mom but you KNOW STEVE AND I LOVE TO PICK AT THAT BIRD!
(and although he's not here today, I'd still watch your back & the back of that bird because Ruby is down for her nap right now & I can smell something wonderfull wafting up the back stairs & into my kitchen... so if you hear your oven door open & you know that it's neither you or Dad... you can be sure that it IS ME getting my ceremonial piece-o-da-bird, and this time, TWO of them in the honor & absence of my cousin Steve!)

hehehe Just don't yell my middle name out too loud k?
Let's not wake Ruby...

hehehe

No comments: