Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Why I prefer MBE over USPS...


... at M.B.E.: they are kind, they are nice, they are friendly, they smile at you, they know you came out of your way to give them your business and are aware that you'll be paying extra for the convienence of their help, but they also know that you keep their business thriving, so they LOVE you coming in.

... at the USPS: they are rude, they are ignorant, they are disinterested, they are of NO HELP, they demean you, they ignore you, they don't want to be there, they hate their jobs & most likely hate you at the moment of your visit.

Today, Ruby & I went to mail a package to a friend. I was very happy to do this as we adore this friend & can't wait for her to receive her surprise that our OTHER friend so lovingly & graciously picked out & planned so as to surprise her.
I am all for a surprise... so off we go to mail it.

Now NORMALLY I ALWAYS go to MBE, but today I thought, just once, let's go to the post office since it's closer, it's getting close to dinner time & I wanted some buffer time to be able to bring Ruby to the children's room at the local library.

So, here's today's lesson boys & girls:

NEVER DEVIATE FROM THE PLAN!

Ever.

The line was long, ok... so theres a long line, we can handle this, we've waited together through MUCH WORSE than this, my daughter & me.
I am NOT joking when I say I have NEVER mailed anything from the post office, period.
Having been a nanny now for as long as I have I hardly EVER was out on an errand solo, more like with several short people in tow, thus the need for some friendly assistance & help when it counts.
So... we make our way to the front of the line with said gift to be mailed. I put Ruby up on the counter in front of me & hand mister 'GRUMPYASS' the gift & show him an address & say, very pleasantly:
"Hi, I'd like to mail this gift to this address please..."

GRUMPYASS looks at me with disgust & says:
"well what do you want me to do about it? I'm not going to wrap that for you and you're not even ready yet, move aside please... NEXT!"

I looked at him & said OUT LOUD for the ENTIRE LINE TO HEAR ME:
"Excuse me but I am BEYOND APPAULED AT YOUR ATTITUDE WITH ME... I am a PAYING CUSTOMER and I have not ever ONCE used the post office to mail anything, I normally go to MAIL BOXES ETC and PAY the extra amount for FRIENDLIER, MORE HELPFUL SERVICE!
I'm sorry if you've had a rough day but I'm going to guess you've never ONCE had to do anything with a toddler in tow... AND you never ONCE asked if you could HELP ME, which is, I'm pretty sure, WHAT YOU'RE HERE FOR SINCE YOU'RE BEHIND THE COUNTER
& I'M THE ONE OUT HERE WITH MONEY IN HAND...
Whatever happened to customer service? Not everyone knows the protocall to how things get done in here & YOU should be the FIRST PERSON to OFFER HELP!"

By now, everyone in line was not only looking for obvious reasons, but more to the point, looking frightened of me...

(ask me if I care?)

Me: "Now, if you don't mind, I'll go over and FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF and if you THINK for ONE SECOND that I'm going to make my child get back into that long line & wait a SECOND TIME to end up right back HERE again with the likes of YOU, YOU ARE SORELY MISTAKEN! I will wrap this package and I will march myself RIGHT BACK UP HERE & YOU WILL MAIL MY PACKAGE and I will also need your NAME SIR because I'm pretty sure it's not what I'm now referring to you as in my HEAD, and I'd like the name of your superior as well!"

GRUMPYASS didn't have a clue what to say in response to that... he merely looked at me & rolled his eyes, to which (had I had my nice big wooden italian spoon handy in my purse) I'd have KNOCKED THOSE EYES RIGHT OUT OF HIS ABNORMALLY SMALL HEAD, but since I DIDN'T have that wooden spoon with me, I managed to give him the Italian 'EVIL EYE'.
(works every time, don't doubt it!)

So, I mail the package & it's on it's way to our friend who I hope will be happily surprised with it's contents... just knowing that she'll be happy was worth a DOZEN GRUMPYASSES!
I'd do it again for her in a heart beat.

(and yes I got his name & yes I'm going to be calling first thing in the morning & NO I'll never ever go back there for anything, EVER!)

MBE for me, thanks.

*To those of you who work or know of someone who works at the USPS, my sincerest apologies as I'm sure that not everyone conducts themselves as GRUMPYASS did today but one bad experience can leave an even WORSE taste in the customers mouth, thus my venting here & my choice to NEVER bring my business back there, period.*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy - I am so sorry you had to endure that pain in the your know where person. I always try to stay away from anyone who works for the good old USA. Their attitude is I am hired for life so what's your problem. I always go the MBE when I can. They have everything for me - stamp, mailing box, UPS, etc.

Hopefully that man didn't ruin your day.

How is your nasty cold? Get well if you are still under the weather.